ob boy logo 1400

Friday 20th

NME reports on Cliff Richard’s ongoing illness:

ALTHOUGH Cliff richard had planned to complete his northern concert tour last week, even after losing his voice at the Wednesday night performance in Hull, he found it impossible to continue.

Hurriedly, "Oh Boy!" TV personality Cuddly Dudley was secured for the remainder of the week, joining other members of the package show Wee Willie Harris and Tony Crombie and his Rockets.

After promoter Arthur Howes said last Wednesday night that Cliff Richard was agreeable to fulfil the remaining dates in spite of having lost his voice completely, later the same evening Cliff encountered insurmountable problems.

Two members of his group, The Drifters, were victims of influenza and Cliff's own difficult position deteriorated as well.

Under the circumstances, the unit were reluctantly forced to abandon their brave attempts and returned to London.

It is pleasing to report that after a few days of complete rest Cliff's vocal chords were functioning easily again earlier this week, enabling him to commence rehearsals on Wednesday afternoon for the "Oh Boy!" show on February 28.

Furthermore , it was planned that, together with the Drifters, concerts and other commitments would re-commence at Birmingham Town Hall tomorrow (Saturday).
At Edmonton last Sunday, Marty Wilde filled the breach( besides broadcasting in "London Lights" the same evening) with Cuddly Dudley and Wee Willie Harris.

NME reports on the ongoing dispute between Jack Good and musical director Harry Robinson:

A HIGH COURT injunction sought to prevent Jack Good from continuing to use the name Lord Rockingham...bandleader-arranger of the "Oh Boy!" TV series forming his own group, Harry Robinson's "Hootsmen"...a statement suggesting several musicians in TV's Rockingham's XI are breaking away in order to join forces with Robinson's new line-up...a solicitor's statement that contracts will be signed this week by Harry Robinson's Hootsmen with a leading disc label - these are the startling highlights of a raging inferno which has emerged since the NME's exclusive revelation last Friday of an attempt by Robinson to secure the Lord Rockingham name.

Today ( Friday) in the High Court, Harry Robinson will seek an injunction to prevent further use of the name Lord Rockingham by TV producer Jack Good.
In a lengthy statement issued by Robinson, he alleges that his action is not over money, but the principles involved. He suggests Good's manager, Edward Summerfield, made a statement in last week's NME which was innacurate and in his words, "must be corrected."

Apart from variations of Robinson's views, printed by the NME last week, additional information in his statement includes the following: "I greatly admire Jack Good as a brilliant producer with fresh ideas, but he is not a trained musician."

Robinson continues with the admission that the name and title "Lord Rockingham's XI" was invented by Good - but it had now become inseparably attached to him and in the public eyes it would be harmful for him to present any music under any other name.

Also it would be unfair to him (Robinson) if any other bandleader was to be regarded as Lord Rockingham.

Robinson alleges that after refusing to sign an exclusive contract with Good's manager Edward Summerfield, there followed advertisements in musical papers stating Jack Good owned copywright of the Lord Rockingham name.

This prompted Robinson to instruct solicitors that an immediate letter demanding a withdrawal of this statement be made. He admits however, that the request was refused and the High Court injunction he seeks now is concerned with establishing the right to the name Lord Rockingham.


Earlier this week, Robinson expressed the view that with only one exeption (aprt from featured organist Cherry Wainer and her own drummer), the remaining members of the "Oh Boy!" resident Rockingham band would not be continuing after March 7, but instead had signed with his new group.

By Wednesday, the resignations were not as anticipated, when Jack Good announced that five instrumentalists had agreed to remain, leaving only four players uncertain.
According to Robinson, when the musicians of the TV XI were offered contracts by ABC for the remainder of of the "Oh Boy!" series (from March 14-May13), he did not receive any extension after his current obligation, which ends on March 7.

On Good's behalf, Edward Summerfield commented: :Having already sent a solicitor's letter making claims to the title, how could Robinson expect to be signed to the remain with the show after that?

Summerfield's statement in last week's NME alleging thet the whole idea of Lord Rockingham's XI was pioneered by Jack Good, and that after formulating the sound required, Good engaged Robinson and conveyed to him the musical treatment rquired, was strongly denied by Robinson. He asserted that besides arranging and composing all the bit tunes for their Decca records, he was bandleader of Lord Rockingham's XI from the outset.

He further added: "Jack Good asked for a distinctive sound, I was the one who experimented and found one."

Questioned by the NME regarding his immediate plans Harry Robinson would not reveal the recording company which had signed his new "Hootsmen" orchestra, nor would he intimate the name of any business representatives who would be connected with his future.

However, our independent enquiries indicated, on reliable authority, that Pye-Nixa is the disc label concerned; furthermore, it is envisaged that Bunny Lewis (who represents the Mudlarks), is connected with the question of future management.

Finally, Edward Summerfield made the comment: "This hardly seems like gratitude for the opportunity Jack Good has created for Robinson to amass several thousand pounds as composer of Lord Rockingham disc titles."

Decca, in providing recent Press material concerning the group, stated (in writing) thsat the "Hoots Mon" record sales alone had yielded Robinson composer royalties of over 5,000 pounds.

Despite the dispute, Robinson is expected to fulfil his "Oh Boy!" contract until March 7.

NME runs a full page feature on Cliff’s throat problems which had plagued the singer over the last three weeks:

No one could be more frustrated and disappointed than I was when my doctors ordered me to rest my throat and take a holiday last week.

I'm glad to say everything is fine now and I'm rarin' to go on Saturday at Birmingham. My quick recovery is thanks to my surprise "lost weekend" - or rather the weekend I got lost!

I'd like to tell you about it here in my favourite paper. First - why it happened.

After managing to struggle through six hours recording my Columbia LP-"Cliff Richard And The Drifters"-last Monday and Tuesday, my voice went completely on the Wednesday morning. The doctors assured me that the throat was not affected by a germ, but was seriously strained and was a culmination of ceaseless work during the past week-travelling up and down the country, one night stands, appearing on the weekly "Oh Boy!" show, making a film and playing in variety.

Even with my voice gone last Wednesday, I refused to give up, and rather than let my Hull fans down that night, I insisted on undertaking the 200-mile journey from London and appearing on stage there, even though I couldn't sing.

This northern audience gave me a wonderful reception. But, unfortunately the trip was too much for me and two of the Drifters - Tony and Bruce - also were sick with the flu after the show.

In these sad circumstances, we very reluctantly had to give up the rest of the tour and I'd like to say to all those who had booked for it "I'm very sorry."

My doctors insisted that I take a complete holiday and I made arrangements to go to the South of France.

Seats were booked on a BEA flight to Nice last Saturday, but, unfortunately, as luck would have it, there was a last-minute hitch and it was impossible to get the passport through in time.

Just as this disappointing news was being phoned through to me, and made me feel blue after the joy the many Valentines I received had brought me, two friends - Dave and Ray - happened to call in to see how things were going and immediately they heard my difficulty they hit on the idea of all three of us motoring "into the blue" for a couple of days, not letting anyone know where we would be.

I thought it wasa a great idea! So, after hurriedly packing a toothbrush, a few belongings, my portable gramophone and a stack of records, we set off in Dave's Riley in a southerly direction without anyone - not even my parents knowing where we were going.

Oncethrough London there was a quick discussion as to where we should make for, and eventually on my suggestion we headed for Brighton.

After stopping en route for some medicine and capsules that the doctor had prescribed, we reached Brighton at three in the afternoon.

We selected a small hotel right on the front, with rooms overlooking the west pier and beach. Booked in, we set out for a short walk along the sands, as my doctors told me to get as much fresh sea air as I could. I was muffled in a woollen scarf and overcoat, and hoped I would be able to walk around unrecognised.

But my pink socks gave me away. It was not long before I had the feeling of being followed.

After signing autograph books, we went into a record shop and bought several discs, including Little Richard's "Baby Face," Nancy Whiskey's "Johnny Blue" and "Problems" by The Everly Brothers.

I was determined not to miss the "Oh Boy!" show and searched around until I found a coffee bar with a television set.

From 6 to 6.30. I spent a busman's holiday watching Jack Good's programme, and felt very envious of everyone having such a good time on the show, and I determined more than ever to get better quickly.

Films I like

A little later my attention was caught by a large poster advertising a science fiction film. I go for them, but rarely have the time to see any. So the evening was spent watching "The Cage Of Doom," supported by an even more blood-curdling film, "The Screaming Skull"! I don't think they'll mae the hit parade, but I loved them. I forgot my frozen orange on a stick, and there wasn't very much left apart from the stick.

After the show we had a barbecued chicken supper and a brisk walk along the beach back to the hotel and were in bed with the lights, by 10.30 p.m

Breakfast of bacon and eggs, twelve hours later on the Sunday morning was served in bed and then, after writing cards - pictures of myself and captioned "Cliff's at Brighton"- to my parents and three sisters. I decided to pay a quick visit to the local sports stadium where the Show Biz Eleven were due to play soccer against a team of managers.

Well protected with two scarves around my neck, I spent a brief 20 minutes seeing my friends - Jim Henney, Glen Mason and his ex manager, Franklin Boyd - playing some highly entertaining soccer.

This made me feel suddenly energetic, because driving away from the stadium, still being hotly persued by fans, I thought I would like to try my hand on the Sea View golf course.

Much to the amusement of some fans from nearby Roedean School, this turned out to be really hilarious, but as the game progressed I soon got the hang of handling the various clubs, and by the 15th green managed to hole the ball in a record three. (Want some lessons, Lonnie?)

All this exercise built up a good appetite and so I enjoyed poached egg on top of a Welsh rarebit in a nearby cafe.

Back once more at the hotel, I switched on my gramophone, and for the next two hours listened to discs by Elvis Presley, Tommy Sands and Ricky Nelson, who I think are the greatest.

During this time I was feeling rather sad because it coincided with the time that I was supposed to be appearing at the Regal, Edmonton. I only hope I can make it up to everyone there soon.

This had been a date to which I had been looking forward to for many weeks.

To round off the day, an expedition was made to the Nanking Restaurant in the famous Brighton Lanes, where I ordered my favourite dish of chicken curry.

On Monday morning I spent a very enjoyable hour at the Pier Pleasure Grounds on the dodgems, the pin-ball machines and the rifle range.

On holiday, I have always enjoyed taking home presents for my family, and so the rest of the morning was spent in choosing suitable gifts.

After quite a lot of looking around, I finally selected a 3lb presentation box of chocolates for Mum and a new shaving brush, soap and blades for my Dad, and extra large sticks of rock for my sisters.

Shortly after midday it was time to leave Brighton and return to London. And as I said in the car, it was a fabulous break. I felt much brighter than I had 48 hours previously. The sea air during my "lost weekend" had certainly done me a power of good!

Now to make up for "lost" time. I'm all set to "Get Movin'" again!

Read 3265 times Last modified on Sunday, 28 August 2016 13:59
Login to post comments



The Stringbeat Years cover2

Now available!

The Stringbeat Years: Songs accompanied by John Barry

Now available, a 4-CD box-set comprising of 144 tracks, a 24-page booklet (replete with period photographs and comprehensive notes) and including ten bonus tracks (among them the CD debut of the first ever cover version of a John Barry instrumental composition).

Featuring – for the first time – the film versions of ‘Mix me a Person’, ‘The Time has Come’, and ‘What a Whopper’ (slightly shortened). There’s also an unique opportunity to hear the original version of ‘Ah, Poor Little Baby’, making its premiere appearance on CD.

The box-set is limited to 500 copies and is only £16.99 post-free in the UK, so don’t miss out! It is available direct from this website!

£16.99  post-free in the UK
£19.99  anywhere else in the world

Order now!

Let us know if you aren't able to do this and we'll work out another way. 

Track listing


HitAndMiss 1000

Thoroughly and painstakingly researched over a number of years, it features contributions from several ex-members of the band and from friends and relatives of John Barry.

Comprising of over 360 pages, it is packed with an array of rare photos of the band, and the singers they often supported, as well as some unique images of memorabilia and documentation from that era; some never previously published, many more seldom seen.

Even if you are not necessarily a devotee of The John Barry Seven per se, the book offers a fascinating historical insight into the British music scene of the period and, more importantly, provides an essential read for anybody remotely interested in discovering more about John Barry’s formative career.

The book’s cover price is £30, but anybody ordering direct from us will receive a 33% discount, reducing the cost to £19.99.

Order now (click this line)!

© 2020 - Oh Boy! Geoff Leonard. All Rights Reserved. ohboy.org.uk was re-constructed from the original website. Template Design By ThemeLan.